Lakes & Rivers
Bittersweet Nightshade Black
Early Blue Violet
Return to Plants
It is to
your benefit to learn as much about wild poisonous plants as
possible, many poisonous plants can be
confused with edible plants.
Learn to identify poisonous plants by studying field guides,
pamphlets, books, films, nature trails, botanical gardens, local
markets, and local people.
dermatitis from plants will usually cause the most trouble in
the field. The effects may be persistent, spread by scratching,
and are particularly dangerous if there is contact in or around
the eyes. The principal toxin of these plants is usually an
that gets on the skin upon contact with the plant.
may take from a few hours to several days to appear. Signs and
symptoms can include burning, reddening, itching, swelling, sun
sensitivity and blisters. When you first contact the poisonous
plants or the first symptoms appear, try to remove the
washing with soap and cold water. If water is not available,
wipe your skin repeatedly
with dirt or sand. After you have
removed the oil, dry the area.
poisoning can be very serious and could lead to death very
quickly. Signs and symptoms of ingestion poisoning can include
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, depressed
heartbeat and respiration, headaches, hallucinations, dry mouth,
unconsciousness, coma, and death.
eat any plant unless you have positively identified it first.