Beaver Cove was first
settled in 1917 by the Beaver Cove Lumber and Pulp Company. An American company
owned by James White. He invested a small fortune building wharves, a pulp
mill, shingle mill and sawmill, he also built a railway to bring logs down from
the forest. Beaver Cove had a hotel, bunkhouses and cookhouses for single men,
plus some houses for the bosses. It also had a general store and a separate
Chinatown. Unfortunately, the pulp mill was poorly designed and shoddily built
and the company went out of business by 1920. There was not much here then and
the locals would head to the big centers like alert bay to do their shopping.
There were about 30 families living in the area.
Three years after its incorporation in 1938, Canadian Forest Products bought the
property and in the early 1950s built a railway to bring the logs
from the Nimpkish Lake area to Beaver Cove. When Crown Zellerbach bought Beaver
Cove from Canadian Forest Products, they moved the settlement up the hill to
Kokish and cleared the waterfront at Beaver Cove to create a flat log sort. You
can still see this sort today.